I use phpBB for forums for my courses. The students don’t have much use for them, but the spammers love to set up accounts for bogus users. I used to have the forum directory password protected, but that meant that students would have to log in once to read the forum, and then again if they wanted to post a question or comment. So I’ve disabled that protection, but I’ve activated the captcha feature and I moderate all submissions. Still, I have to get rid of the bogus users who register for the site, a few each day. So I decided to enforce “Valid QC email addresses only.” The problem is that whatever changes I make to the PHP code will get wiped out next time I upgrade phpBB. Hence this reminder to myself of how to do it.
In Installing PostgreSQL on Leopard I talked about building a 64-bit version of PostgreSQL on Leopard. On or about September 12, 2009 Apple released a “security update” that required a re-boot. Routine stuff. Could have been a new version of iTunes for all I knew. (Maybe it was, doesn’t matter.) All I know is that I got email from a student saying my course schedule page was coming up mostly blank.
Trying to build GNUCash, which requires Guile, which requires GMP. Guild configuration failed because it could not find GMP, even though I had built, tested, and installed GMP.
Got this message when installing the GMP (GNU Multi-precision) library:
If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
- add LIBDIR to the `DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
I have two pet peeves about Dreamweaver’s code editor. I keep hoping they will get fixed, but as of CS4, they still are broken and are constant sources of aggravation.
Babbage.cs.qc.cuny.edu has been running on Sparc/Solaris machines since about 1990. (It’s been a web server since 1997.) In February 2008, I installed a MacPro/Leopard server in my office to replace the current Sparc/Solaris machine. It's taken only a year for me to become comfortable enough with the new machine to actually do the cutover: as of now babbage runs on the MacPro. Many of the posts here so far had to do with getting ready for the change. Herewith some more details/reminders.
It seemed like a simple thing to do: install git on OS X.
The issue, of course, is ONL (OS X is not Linux), and git is a Linux application for version control. (The immediate motivation for getting git was that I should put my website under version control so I can have a history of changes,and I wanted to compare git to subversion/cvs/rcs.)
Getting the source code for git is straightforward, and I downloaded git-1.6.1.tar.gz, unzipped it, ran configure, built it, and ran "make test." Some of the tests failed (some seemed to be known errors, but it stopped when 3/5 errors in the 2300 series failed; they had to do with cd operations of some sort). Undaunted, I did a sudo make install and was able to run the git exectutable. But I needed the documentation (just a man page would be nice), and that's where it all got messy.
NFTFR is a Core Drupal blog, with minimal third-party or custom modules. So I ignore most security updates -- which apply primarily to third-party modules -- and update the Drupal Core infrequently enough to forget how to do it each time. Herewith, the skinny on that.
OS X Leopard Server runs apache2 as a 64-bit application, which means that if you want to be able to run a PostgreSQL server that you can access from PHP web pages, PostgreSQL has to be built as a 64-bit binary, and PHP has to be re-built (with PostgreSQL) as a 64-bit binary as well. After some googling around, I started by using a script by Marc Liyanage for building a universal binary PostgreSQL. That was a good start, but didn't work on my Leopard server. What follows is a description of how I finally got it all to work.
The Intel C compiler, iCC, and related tools require a license to run. They use the standard flexlm license manager scheme that consists of a license file and a daemon for managing license checkout-release of licenses. The problem I've been wrestling with is trying to get the daemon to start up at reboot on a Leopard server.