CS-200, C and C++ Programming

This is the home page for CS-200, C and C++ Programming at Queens College of CUNY. Come here for course materials if you are registered for the course this term. If you would like a description of the course, you may go to the Course Description page.

Contents of This Page

Class Sections

Fall 1996 is the second time this course is being offered. There are three sections. If you can't read the table below, you can see a text version.

TTC3A2745Tue10:00-11:40AMPH 276Dr. Vickery
FFC3A2746Fri10:00-11:40AMSB B141Dr. Vickery
MMY3A2747Mon06:30-08:10PMPH 208Mr. Lusinyants

The "Syllabus for This Term" is for Dr. Vickery's sections; Mr. Lusinyants' class will not have the same assignments and may cover the material in the course in a different sequence, even though all sections will use the same textbook.

Dr. Vickery's students must attend, and take exams with, the section in which they are actually registered.

In addition to Dr. Vickery and Mr. Lusinyants, Mr. Joseph Svitak will be assisting in the management of the course.

Office Hours

Course Requirements

There will be two midterm exams and a final which, together, will count approximately 75% of your course grade. The other 25% of your grade will be based on homework assignments and programming exercises.

Although you will spend a lot of time in this course doing the assignments and exercises, we have purposely made their contribution to your grade relatively small to encourage you to use them as learning guides rather than as obstacles that you have to complete "any old way" to get through the course.

Each student is to do his or her own work for all homework, projects, assignments, and exams.

Although it is all right to talk with other students about homework, projects, and assignments, it is not all right to exchange code, even partially completed code, with another student either orally, electronically, or otherwise. Failure to abide by this policy will result in severe disciplinary action to both parties involved.

Using Your Unix Account

There will be very little classroom time spent on Unix, but you must use your Unix account for all assignments this term. Here is the material you will need to use your account:


The syllabus lists the material you are responsible for each week (reading and homework assignments). It also gives an outline of the material covered in each class.

Textbook: Paperback and CD-ROM Versions

The textbook for the course is
C++ How to Program by H. M. Deitel and P. J. Deitel, Prentice-Hall, 1994.
We plan to cover Chapters 1-11 in sequence at a rate of about one chapter a week.

A list of errata for the book is available. Please let Dr. Vickery know about any others that you find.

Prentice-Hall has also published a multimedia CD-ROM that contains virtually all of the textbook plus two chapters that are specific to the C language. The CD-ROM also includes the source code for all the examples in the book, executable versions of the examples, an audio clip for most examples, and a video clip of the authors reading the preface to the book. The CD-ROM does not differentiate between "Self-Review Exercises" and "Exercises" the way the book does. The book gives answers to the Self-Review Exercises but not to the other Exercises. The CD-ROM includes some answers that are not in the book and omits some of the answers that are in the book.

The CD-ROM runs on a PC under Windows, and requires a substantial amount of memory to do everything. I have a 486 PC with 16 MB of RAM, and sometimes have to shut down another application to get the pre-built sample programs to run.

I have copied all the sample code from the CD-ROM into a publicly readable directory on qcunix1, ~vickery/CS-200/Examples. There is also a tar file there named Examples.tar which contains the entire Examples directory tree. Note that all of the .cpp file name extensions have been changed to .cc, that all ASCII carriage returns have been removed from the ends of the lines, and that at least some of the files have been edited to eliminate warnings from the GNU g++ compiler due to obsolete usage of variable declarations in for statements.

You have a choice of buying the book, the CD-ROM, or both. There is a special package price if you buy both. I think the textbook alone is satisfactory, but the CD-ROM is of good quality, and you might well find it useful if you have a computer you can run it on. I do not recommend trying to do the course with just the CD-ROM and no copy of the textbook, but I would like to know how it works out if anyone does decide to try that option!

Assignments and Exams

The syllabus for the course gives the reading and homework assignments for this semester. The descriptions of longer projects and copies of exams are also available for previous semesters:

Christopher Vickery
Queens College of CUNY
My Home Page